Tuesday 9 December 2008

Gorgeous Sunday







We got up early on Sunday and had a hearty breakfast, as the plan was to go to Southsea first so, (weather permitting), Niall could fly his kite, then we would go on to the race headquarters at about 12.30.

When we got there at about 9.30 am there was not a breathe of wind and it was gorgeous!!! Perfect blue sky, cold and crisp - but no wind for the kite, so we had a quick walk then stopped for a coffee in one of the cafés. Niall did sort out the lines on one of his kites and tried to fly it, but there wasn't enough wind to keep it up. Mind you, Ian and I were hoping the wind would stay down for the race!

We had another cup of coffee and Ian and I shared a flapjack (I said this would be slow release energy!) then made our way to the Sports Complex where the race was to start and finish.

We met up with Ian's workmate Alan who was also racing and had a warm up (was a bit worried as felt quite worn out after two laps around the track), then the race started. I stayed right at the back and tried not to keep up with anyone else as it is easy to run much faster than you would normally. I was doing quite well up to one mile and decided that I would try and make it to the 2 mile mark before I stopped for a walk, which I did. The rest of the way I ran and walked and with about a mile and a half to go started running with a very nice lady who was doing the same, and we finished the race together - it was a real help having someone to go along with -hopefully I'll bump into her again at another race. As I did a better time than I expected to, I've decided to run another 5 mile one in a month's time!! Ian was really pleased as he knocked off 10 minutes from his time last year, so we were both happy.

Came home, had a bath, had tea and watched the results of Strictly Come Dancing. Felt justified in having a rest, even though zero housework done this weekend!!

4 comments:

Poppy said...

WELL DONE YOU!!!!!
With the race,I hope you enjoy the rest of the week.

love Lou xxx

Nessie's Nonsense said...

Thanks Lou.

You have a good week too. Let's hope this lovely sunshine keeps up!!

Love Vanessa xx

SewIknit2 said...

thanks for the kind wishes for no.2.son and his being unwell!
He's back off to school today - leaving me coughing like mad! just what I need right now! a horrid cold!
Sue xx

Ragged Roses said...

Well done!!! I am feeling very lazy, siting here and read this!!! I'm so pleased you had such a perfect morning for it too
Kimx