Monday 2 February 2009

A Snow Day - at last!

Woke up this morning to Niall calling - "Mum we've got snow" - and snow we certainly had, I haven't seen the like for years and Niall has never seen it like this. These views were taken from his bedroom window.

I made him go to school as we hadn't heard that it was actually closed at the time (not so mean as it is only about quarter of a mile away) and I walked to work which is literally at the end of our road but he phoned me and said they had heard that school was closed so he went straight over to one of his friend's house for most of the day.

It had been decided that the college (where I work) should officially close for the day, but Cindy and I went on the switchboard for an hour letting callers know that it was closed whilst a message was sorted out to put on the answerphone, and a couple of the ladies from the canteen that had managed to get it in had made some delicious bacon butties that they were handing round, so it was worth going in just for that!
We were allowed to go at 10 am and I later walked across the nearby park to put my Dad's, Ian's and my entries in for the B&Q 10K race at the Civic Offices. I have never walked (and jumped) through so much beautiful virgin snow and I took great pleasure in zig-zagging across the grass on the way back, looking behind me to see where I had walked - I loved it! The sun came through a break in the heavy grey cloud and I had to stop and actually gasped in pleasure at the snow literally glistening in front of me!! I don't think the expression 'getting in touch with your inner child' had so much meaning to me as when I was stepping into all the new white snow feeling like a five year old!

Niall had a great day with his friends and said they made a massive snowball that in the end the four of them couldn't roll it anymore as it was so big.

Ian only had to go into work for a couple of hours as he was on the late shift but as there were no Evening classes on he had an easy day too, so we were all happy!

No comments: