Monday 7 July 2008

Final Work for Textile Course




Just thought I'd put a picture on of my final piece done for my course. The actual piece that was being moderated was the large flower wall decoration. The flowers are based on Georgia O'Keeffe's flower paintings and were made using merino wool felted onto a fine layer of silk hanky. The technique was adapted from some instructions given by Beth at feltinginfibrespace. I tried several different techniques to make the flowers but finally decided on these as I liked the delicacy of them, despite the fact that they were quite large and bold, and used colours inspired by O'Keeffe's paintings. The decoration can be hung vertically, horizontally or can even be stood on the ground. After discussing how to move forward with the final project one evening, my teacher said what about making it into a light - I liked the idea of it having a use as well as just being decorative so looked into various ways of lighting it. I wanted it to be quite portable and not to have to worry about a lead dangling down or having to be near a plug and found some battery operated LED clear lights on EBay so fitted it with these. Some were left inside the light and some of the LEDs were put through as the centre of the flowers so it can be lit from outside and within which creates a very pretty glow when it is dark. I was pleased with the final result, although halfway through putting the lights and flowers on I nearly gave up, but as it had to be in the next day I had to keep going. It is absolutely typical of me, leaving it until the last minute so I get the adrenalin rush to get it finished - I always get there in the end, but could make life much less stressful for myself if I got things done in plenty of time, but there seems to be no way I can work like that!!

No comments: