Sunday 6 July 2008

Winchester Hat Fair

My hubby, son and I had our annual trip to the Hat Fair in Winchester yesterday. There are lots of entertainers doing all sorts of acts outside in various places around the city. Luckily the weather held out despite being quite windy and we saw some really good acts. It's called the Hat Fair because after each performance the entertainers hold their hat out for the audience to put in a donation for watching their show. It's a really good day out and the place is buzzing with people everywhere and some really good craft stalls, although I couldn't believe that I didn't actually make it to the Contemporary Craft Show set in the Cathedral grounds, there was so much else to see. Luckily it is still on next weekend so I may get the train up next Saturday and spend some time looking around then.

My Textile teacher Anita had a stall in Market Lane and next to her stall was Elaine, one of the ladies from my textile class. They both had some beautiful pieces on their stalls, Anita does a lots of machine embroidered pictures, bowls etc., and we bought a set of three small watercolours that she did in France to go up when our Bathroom is finally finished (three years and counting - it is getting there, but very slowly, mainly due to lack of time and money)! Elaine also had a beautiful selection of jewellery, felt items, bags, cards etc, she had been very busy.

It was a really good day and my 12 year old son enjoyed himself too (he's getting to the stage where he'd really rather be with his mates than us), because the Hat Fair is a bit of a tradition for us and he does love watching performance art, he said it had been a fun day when I said goodnight to him last night - so a good time was had by all!!

No comments: